Sunday 7 June 2020


Tips for Winter...

27 October 2019|BOATLIFE, WONDERINGS & PONDERINGS, WOOL & YARN
There is no denying it… Winter is upon us. The clocks have changed, Summertime is officially OVER and with it comes the prospect of long, dark evenings ahead. I feel this season even more deeply by living off grid, immersed in Mother nature but the thing that sustains me during this slow time is my craft and desire (a need even) to make and create. So reliant am I on this approach to Winter I worry for people who don't have a hobby or a means to create. This leads me to thinking, how can I help people to 'find their thing'.  If you need some suggestions and would like to find a winter sustaining hobby here are some things you could consider.
Using your hands to make and create keeps them off the unhealthy distractions… phone, food, fags or booze…. There is some truth in the old saying Devil makes work for idle hands. Find an activity to keep your hands busy.
What do you want to make? Think of all the possibilities….art, music, clothes, stories?
What do you like to See? What pleases you? Colour combinations,  monochrome, shape, patterns, how things fit together, how colours contrast.
What do you like to Feel? What is pleasing to the touch?..... Soft and yielding, rigid and strong, wet or dry? 
I know for myself I like the feel of spinning silky fibres feels. I like the challenge of finding the perfect colour combinations and how they tessellate into beautifully colourful blankets.
Whether it's whittling woodpainting potsstrumming strings or winding wool there's something for everyone and absolutely nothing that can't be learnt from YouTube videos.
So please, do some searching and try things out. Take a class or just teach yourself at home. But I can promise that having a creative activity that you can lose yourself in for an hour or so a day will help you through the dark times.
Do get in touch to share your ideas and tips or if you just need some suggestions.  
Happy hibernating folks x
Blankets are great for winter nights. Fun to make and keep you warm at the same time.
Blankets are great for winter nights. Fun to make and keep you warm at the same time.

No comments: