Sunday 7 June 2020

Christmassy Thoughts

19 December 2018|BOATLIFE, WONDERINGS & PONDERINGS

We are now well into the darkness of Winter and life afloat does allow it to be a time for slowing down, quiet restfullness and introspection. I can mostly avoid the bright lights and bustle of Christmas. Maybe it's the long(ish) walk from the car (and civilisation) to and from the boat that aids this process. This morning I saw a Barn owl glide past as we exited for the school run, and on the return I spent a few moments watching a cormorant sunning itself high up in a tree. 


But it is still very easy to get caught up in the frantic-ness of Christmas. Dashing about, mostly shopping, to the soundtrack of This is Christmas in EVERY.....SINGLE.....SHOP !  And as each year passes I am feeling less and less inclined to join in with that. Thankfully my children are grown and I'm past the stage of needing to make it magical. Now we can appreciate our time together, eat and drink together, and generally slob about, and for that I'm very thankful.  Love and appreciation can be shown in the currency of homeade mince pies and all the nice things.
As the shortest day approaches I wish you all a time of restfullness. Have naps, go days without getting dressed. Go out for walks but also don't underestimate the power of NOT going out for a walk. 
Christmas is a time for indulgence so I urge you all to indulge in Rest.
Seasons Greetings and Happy Solstice Everyone :-)

No comments: