Sunday 7 June 2020

Floating Market Breakdown....

31 July 2018|BOATLIFE, SCHOOL LIFE
(Not in an emotional sense mind).

Another post bought to you after a bout of Weird Weather! And what a time for the Heatwave to break than during the Floating Market. Sadly I only managed one day of trading and admitted defeat on the Sunday and just popped along for the entertainment and a catch up. It was a shame... but many people did pop along and it was a fun day of spinning and chatting in the (patchy) sunshine.  One thing that is very apparent from the comments about my spinning from both the Market and when I'm outside my boat is "that's not something you see very often". 
One such admirer was a young boy, I forget his name, but he was only 4 and about to start school after the holidays. He was very facinated with my wheel and spent a good chunk of time and concentration just watching it. He also had lots of questions about why and how it all worked. It was brilliant, and I loved it. In the end I asked him what was it about watching the wheel that he liked..after a think the answer was...."I like things with cogs....". We agreed that he would probably go on to build many brilliant and wonderful spinning wheels, amongst other things.  I do hope his new teacher is aware of his love of cogs, and wheels, how they work and what they do because they will be his tools to learn, and having them available will contribute to his enjoyment and wellbeing during his first experiences of school life.
This interaction reminded me of why I love, so very much, working with young children. Finding out what grabs their interest and making it available to them and then watching them do the rest. Play is the work of children and I'm very lucky to be able to play along side.  It was a moment that made getting cold and damp, lugging lots of heavy stuff around, and not really making much money all the more worth it. 
But of course its school holidays so time to think of alternative ways to put food on the table. My next challenge I've set myself is to find a way to market and sell a number of bespoke and unique garments that I'm being to stockpile. The primary reason being it gives me the perfect excuse to make more. It'll be another learning curve and getting out of my comfort zone I expect. I'll do a bit of spinning while I try and figure it out :-)
TTFN x

No comments: