Thursday 13 January 2011

On Learning Life's Lessons

1). Its not easy....
2). It often hurts...
3). Its the only way to avoid more of the same!!

I'm gradually coming through the disappointment of failing my assignment and all that remains is the odd prick of embarrassment and shame when I remember it could have been avoided.

To set the scene....when submitting our final assignments for the course we could chose which level we wanted to submit at...Masters or Honours (to put it simply that's Brilliant or Good) and me in my vanity submitted at Masters.  With the benefit of hindsight I can see now that my effort was no way near Masters standard and was quite rightly a fail.  My vanity was in thinking I could go about my usual way (taking on too much, coping with girls, getting distracted by Facebook, Ravelry or wool on the web!!) and be able to bash out an essay at Masters level in between hanging out the washing and making the tea.  Maybe it was more naivety than vanity.

So the question I need to ask myself is Do I want a Masters? and if so how much?  Do I want to give up my crafting/knitting/spinning time to books, research, rewriting? Or do I accept that its not for me, I only need to re-submit at Honours (with a bit of tweaking) to pass?

And here's the learning bit....part of that decision could lie in me recognising I already have many other talents to value and celebrate, do I really need to go chasing after ones I don't?

Maybe if I had submitted at Honours in the first place I could have avoided the disappointment and the shame and all those other 'orrible feelings I like to avoid.....but where's the fun in that eh?

But this is primarily a knitting/crafting blog so here is the crafty content.  Ironically,  I've been having similar problems in the yarn world.  The Annis Shawl is being a bit of a beast, not least as it required casting on 300+ stitches!  I have frequently felt confused and lost with it and considered ripping it all out and starting again.  Then, when I take a bit of time to focus and concentrate I find that I was doing it right all along....Knitting imitating Life maybe?

If you got this far....thank you.  Hopefully, my next instalment shall be easier on the eye with some pictures of my latest projects.

TTFN x x



TTFN x x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can imagine your disappointment...hopefully the pain is lessening now. Have you decided what you are going to do?