Saturday 28 March 2009

I made Art...


My current 'Undertaking of Learning' is a 15 week intro into Art Therapy. Its one day a week (on a Friday) and a really nice way to round off the week. I leave the house with a jaunty step, plugged into the Ipod (so I can't here the wails and shouts of a helpless Man trying to get two girls ready for school!) for the beautiful walk through the woods for the train to Bath (gosh sounds a bit Enid Blyton doesn't it!!)
I beleive that Life itself is a journey of self discovery but I have, over the last 5 years or so, been a bit more focused on my journey with 4 years of training to become a Theraputic Counsellor.
As I may have mentioned the counselling course did wonders for my own sense of wellbeing and how I felt about my place in the world. It also unleashed a massive creative urge. I felt the Art Therapy course would knit the two together nicely. (did you see what I did there!)
So yesterday I came home very excited with what I' had created.


Firstly we had a go with clay. I really like it. It's like wool but damper and more solid. I really want to have a go on a potters wheel now. I'm wondering if it'll be like spinning.




This is The Tree of Knowledge in the Corridors of Learning. I shan't go into the long explanation of what we were asked to do as I'm trying to supervise a big painty mess in another room! But what I got out of it was learning about not working towards an end point. With art I have always tried to visualise the end result and then work towards that, thats relatively easy to do with spinning and knitting, so when it comes to other forms such as drawing/painting I find it almost impossible and therefore demoralising. I can't do art (or so I thought). With the last couple of peices I have really tried not to think about what it will look like and let it evolve and I found I had created something with depth, layers and meaning (if only to me at least) .
I'm feeling very pleased with what I'm learning. It's a fantastic course and I would recommend it to anyone.

Finally, I can't decide when to get stuck into the Chocolate Raspberry spinning project. I have a couple of precious child free hours on the horizon, its either carding or the allomtment, and that will largely depend on the weather, ( I'm hoping for rain!!)




















2 comments:

Faerynuff said...

Wow - that's wonderful.

It's amazing when you find something you love to do and the ways it really improves your life.

I'm a La Leche breastfeeding counsellor and since doing the course I have become so much calmer and happier with myself anf my life in general. I'm going to be doing PND training in June which can only help more!

My local college offers chocolate making days...do you think that will help me? LOL!

Woollycraft Wonders said...

Hi Ali, whats PND training? Well done on the La Leche training I know how important it is to have support with breast feeding. I say go for the choco making, its an excellent source of therapy, its right up there with Cake Healing!!lol x