Wednesday 13 May 2009

New Love.

For the last year I've had my eye on a flock of sheep near by and I finally plucked up the courage to approach the owner the other day. It must have been a synchronistic event as she had just had her flock shorn that very day! She let me go back the next day and have a rumage through the fleeces, and my god I was in woolly heaven. I came back with this........
This is possibly the most lushious stuff I have ever had the good fortune to pick up. It's a Shetland Icelandic cross flock and in beautiful shades of light and dark browns and greys. It is so soft and fine and dripping in lanolin that it spins straight from the bag (every spinners dream I'm sure). I just pull handfulls out of the bag and in no time at all I can do this......and this...........









We agreed payment for this woolly gold would be a pair of hand knitted socks, and I can't wait to get this stuff on the needles.
Talking of bartering, the adults of this household have been scaring ourselves a bit lately by watching this.....
The parts on religion are absolutely fascinating, the parts on banking and The Federal Reserve are down right terrifying.
Can we live without money? There's only so many things a pair of hand knitted socks can get you!
Oh well, here's hoping anyhow.
I apologise for bumming anyone out, but the most important thing I got from this film is the importance of living in harmony with the natural world, and if that makes me a sad old hippy so so be it!
p.s I shall sooth myself with thinking of all the things I can knit with this lushious wool, I urge you all to do something similar x

2 comments:

Bezzie said...

Mmm...that spun up fleece is droolworthy! I've got to get some darn baby knitting done so I can get back to the wheel!

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

So jealous! Lovely, lovely yarn!