Saturday 9 May 2009

Got any Stuff?

I had a really good day at college yesterday. Lately we've been looking at the power of the object. I'm sure we all do it, imbue items with special meaning, power and memories. I'm sure it was my Pants of Confidence that got me through my teacher training interview!

So after looking at how I we all relate to eachother during my counselling training, now I am looking at how we all relate to our Stuff.

I have to admit, I'm a hoarder. I'm always looking at things and thinking 'that'll come in handy' or 'I can make something with that' (just the other day I found myself collecting the lids from tins - I saw them conected together hanging on a wall somewhere).

Hence I've been thinking about my Stuff

Does our stuff represent our homes, our memories, our selves?

Are we are stuff? If we are, what about the Stuff We Can't See. Old kiddy stuff in the attic, the boxes squished into the cupboard under the stairs. I wonder why I can't let go of this stuff? My relationship with my children won't change just because I recycled old school books.

I think part of the problem is we mix up the important stuff with the un-important. To sort through would take time, so we put in a box, shove it somewhere out the way for later.

If you think hard enough it could be a metaphor for something, couldn't it!?

Anyway here's my Art -

I feel a little uneasy about those unseen boxes but I'm not sure why. I feel that I have a bit too much stuff.


Of course its not going to help bringing home three Balwen fleeces from Wales last weekend. I almost had to leave a child behind just to get it into the car!


I think I need to think this through a bit more while I go and sort through some stuff and put some other stuff away.
Ta ta x

1 comment:

Sycamore Moon Studios said...

I am a hoarder, too. I think it is an artist thing. The "I am sure I'll use this someday" syndrome.
I am not a stuff for stuff's sake person, though, so there is still a clear walkway in the house! LOL

The fleeces are lovely!