Monday 4 September 2017

Taking Decisive Action...

For some reason my brain has always worked to the rhythm of the academic year. So as we slide into September with a squeak from a new pair of shoes thoughts are turning to the year ahead.

This is the very last day (of what actually turned out to be) an extended summer holiday as tomorrow I start a new chapter in a new school.  Today is a day of preparation, tidying up, sorting out, shoe polishing etc etc. So to get myself into the right mind state I 'Took Decisive Action'.  I started the day with a Single Handed Boat Move!

One of the jobs on the To-Do list since we returned from holiday has been to turn Mercy round. This involves travelling about a quarter of a mile up the canal towards Bath until I get to a big wide bit (a winding hole), shoving the nose of the boat into the bank and then chugging away for a good ten minutes as the back end slowly winds its way round so we a facing the other way, followed by a potter back to the mooring.  Up until now I've never attempted it alone. The driving and the turning aren't necessarily tricky but I like the security of having someone to help with the stopping and tying up, and also to help share the shame if it all goes wrong!!






Photo creds to my lovely friend Sam who caught a similar manoeuvre earlier in the year.
I didn't have a photographer with me today!

On completion of my successful mission (phew....breathe a sigh of relief 😌) I did another quick mental run through of the Risk Assessment.  The worst that could happen (and that's always a good place to start from) would be falling off the boat!! So far this hasn't happened and is not that likely...certainly not enough of a risk to Not Do a Thing.  The rest of the potential hazards and problems of a singled handed boat turn...getting stuck, crashing, NOT being able to moor up and having to wait for kind strangers to rescue me from the other side of the bank, stuck in the brambles,with things being knocked off my roof....well the VERY worst outcome of such eventuality would be EMBARRASSMENT!

The wobbly leg, cold chill and sweats of pure Embarrassment 😕

So...as it is the season to Get on with Stuff, I risked the Embarrassment of not being able to handle my big boat and just got on with it. It went swimmingly, I didn't fall off and I didn't get stuck and I am left with a wonderful feeling of accomplishment and achievement, as well as knowing that's one job done before its back to work.

Sadly I've spent far too much time waffling, looking for photo's, uploading and waiting for our slow and temperamental Internet to keep up so I REALLY must get on with a bit of rewarding craft.

Coming up...some actual wool work...hopefully... and project Woollycraft gets some serious thinking time...

Note to self...Arrange some interesting inspirational chats with my fellow healers, teachers and lovers of wool.

TTFN x x x

No comments: