Friday 15 September 2017

Fluffy Batts

I've been determined to make wool for a good couple of weeks.  It's a bit of a lengthy process, so as a fishermen waits patiently for a bite, I have been waiting for a window of opportunity. Friday afternoon was it!!

I finished the day job (1-1 TA in a small village school) just after lunch, picked up dinner supplies and headed straight home to an empty boat.

To assuage the guilt I'd feel at being so self indulgent  (making wool is very indulgent for me) I did a worthy job of giving the fire and chimney and good clear out (we can't deny the Autumn chills any longer)...

And so to the wool...the first job is carding.  This is a bit of an antisocial activity if you live in a small space with other people. You take up room and table space in the centre of boat making it difficult for people to get past. The teeth of the carder make a grating noise which may irritate people who might be trying to listen to ambient music, just a couple of examples....(hense the guilt factor mentioned above)

As I wasn't sure how much time I'd before it all needed to be stashed away somewhere I took photos to help me remember how to make each batt and thought I would share them here.  As it was due to excitement (of wool creation) and it being a Friday afternoon I did need to refer back to the photo's regularly).

I started with this...
I didn't notice until the last batt that I had forgotten to even put the lid on the sugar tin!


  



  

Once through the carder
Twice through the carder
The final batt.



As it was I got all three batts completed and my carder stashed away before family members returned.

I'm itching to start spinning it but really I should make a start on dinner. That's enough indulgence for one day...even if it is a Friday :-)


Oooppss.....I should do a reminder...

If you like the look of this then sign up to my first Heal Yourself with Wool workshop on the 30th September. It promises to be a wonderful fluffy morning in the beautifully restored Westwood Parish Rooms. Email, text, call etc if you're interested.

TTFN x

No comments: