Thursday 5 October 2017

Feeling the Feels

We had a very poignant moment at school today. The class teacher, a beautifully soft and sensitive lady, talked about the difficult feeling of jealousy after a playground incident.
I was listening from the back of the classroom and heard her say to a little girl " I wonder if you were perhaps feeling jealous"...this was then followed by a cracking and then a sob. She'd hit the nail on the head. What then followed was a time of understanding and healing for ALL the children.
It struck me how important it is to name emotions for children and sadly how infrequently it happens, especially as the pressure in school to get 'results' and 'make progress' seems to be increasing year on year. I really appreciate the time our teacher takes to deal with feelings throughout the day.
My feelings seem to be very close to the surface today, as I noticed this morning when helping my daughter  analyse a Philip Larkin poem on the way to school!! And this leads me onto crafting and how it helps so much.
When feelings threaten to overwhelm us we can either swallow them, bury them, mask them or....feel them.  I find a bit of wool work is very soothing and often the best way to help me through the feeling bit. I remember going through a particularly painful bereavement some years ago and a simple task of carding white alpaca fluff was incredibly soothing. It was a gentle, repetitive task that had a slightly rocking motion that really helped ease the pain.
I'm feeling some pretty big feels today...thank goodness I have plenty of fluff to see me through.  Autumn...such a melancholic season...
I really will update on some projects soon.

Take care x

Mercy in Autumn

No comments: