Thursday 2 November 2017

Busy On!



Today I really needed to get a busy on. In preparation for my next Woollycraft event Spin a Yarn & Weave a Tale I needed to make some drop spindles.

Now, a drop spindle is essentially a stick with a weight (a whorl) and is the simplest way to spin since time began. I made my whorls from air drying clay and decorated them with marks, beads and indentations.


The interesting thing I noticed today was how I sometimes 'put off' the creative process, distracting myself with my phone, the washing up, putting things away. 



It happens at other times, especially when I have lots of spinning on the go. There's different reasons for different times.  

Sometimes it's putting off the pleasure, deferring the enjoyment or reward. 
Sometimes I'm all scattered and distracted and need to sit down to spin to order my thoughts.  

Today I noticed I was reluctant to start out of nerves. It's not my usual method or material.  But also,  these will be used for a morning of spinning and story telling in the Thyme Herd Tipi field. I kept thinking will they work? will they be worthy? will what I'm making and putting my energy into stand the test of use?  The greatest pressure we ever face is the pressure we put on ourselves.

In the end I just had to get on and with some gentle background music I soon got into my groove.  



These now are drying by the fire then need a couple of coats of varnish and the sticks attached.




They were made with intent and care so I really hope they do inspire and encourage a new cohort of spinners. There can never really be enough.








The change of seasons....sometimes I start the worry of the onset of Winter in August. The cold, the mud, wet, dark months. Can I really do another? It's usually a fleeting moment and a reminder to most the most of the light.

The clocks have changed and the darkness is here. Out of all the inconviences of Winter the lack of light is probably the most difficult to bear. 

 But in reality, as Winter slowly creeps up on me I welcome the change and remember that the cold, the mud, wet, dark months are a time for blankets, and fires, and eating and staying in and anyway Mercy looks even more beautiful by candlelight.

So I wish you all a belated Sahmain and hope you feel warm and safe and fed where ever you are.

TTFN x

No comments: